Saturday, February 20, 2010

Persuasion encore


Just a reminder, if you've never seen the latest film adaptation of Jane Austen's Persuasion (also known as "Rupert Penry-Jones will make you swoon," LOL), PBS is airing an encore presentation of this film tonight. For me the highlight of this film is definitely the casting of Captain Wentworth. :) Here's the summary from the Masterpiece website:

Unhappily unmarried at age 27, and dealing with family financial peril, hope is fading from Anne Elliot's (Sally Hawkins, Little Britain) life. Circumstances bring Captain Frederick Wentworth (Rupert Penry-Jones, Casanova), a dashing naval officer she once deeply loved, back into her life eight years after Anne was persuaded by her family to reject his marriage proposal. Having returned from sea with a new fortune, Wentworth is surrounded by swooning women while Anne broods at the periphery, longing to be in Wentworth's favor. Now Anne comes face-to-face with the deep regret of her old decision, and her abiding love for Wentworth, as she wonders if a long ago love can be rekindled.

Enjoy. :)

8 comments:

Svea Love said...

I am definitely going to watch this. This will be the first time I will see this version, so since it's aka "Rupert Penry-Jones will make you swoon"...I guess I better get the smelling salts ready LOL :)

Jennifer said...

I'm so excited!

Unknown said...

@Muse - LOL, smelling salts are a good idea! ;)

@Jennifer - Hope you enjoy this one as much as you did last week's Northanger. Let me know! :)

Maria Grazia said...

Of course I've seen it and ...more than once. It has been in my DVD collection since it was released. I just wanted to let you know I agree with you on Wentworth/Penry-Jones. Someone told ..."He is too handsome for the role". I anwer them from here: "WHAAAT?" What does too handsome for the role mean"? I immediately loved him as Wentworth!

Anonymous said...

I've read Persuasion, but I've never seen any of the adaptations. I must watch this one!

Unknown said...

@Maria - I believe I recall hearing something similar about Wentworth...don't get THAT at all, LOL! I think he's just fabulous. :)

@mrsthorntondarcy - Hope you get to watch this film soon!!

Jennifer said...

I'm about to say something...get ready...I didn't like it. :/ It just wasn't as good as the book! There wasn't enough time to grow the love story and the connection after Anne and Captain Wentworth are thrown together again. I mean, I guess we could tell they loved each other because of the past, etc. The book just said it all so much better. It wasn't terrible but, in my opinion, it just didn't do the book justice.

Unknown said...

@Jennifer - Aww! :( That's okay, we can still be friends. ;) This film is a bit controversial among Austen fans due to how it translates the story to screen (and a certain running scene, LOL). I forgive it a lot though, because I'm such a fan of Rupert Penry-Jones, I guess!!