Thursday, July 14, 2011

I've got you under my skin...


"In Sinatra's time, his fame as a singer spread from his own country to the world. His turbulent personality, often shadowed by notoriety, seemed inseparable from the style and originality of his art and gave him an essential place on the public stage of the American century. Now he is gone, taking with him all his anger, cruelty, generosity, and personal style. The music remains. In times to come, that music will continue to matter, whatever happens to our evolving popular culture....Long after his death, Charlie Parker still plays his version of the urban blues. Billie Holiday still whispers her anguish. Mozart still erupts in joy. Every day, in cities and towns all over the planet, someone discovers them for the first time and finds in their art that mysterious quality that makes the listener more human. In their work all great artists help transcend the solitude of individuals; they relieve the ache of loneliness; they supply a partial response to the urging of writer E. M. Forster: 'Only connect.' In their ultimate triumph over the banality of death, such artists continue to matter. So will Frank Sinatra."
                                                                    ~ Excerpt from Why Sinatra Matters by Pete Hamill

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Great quote...I've become obsessed with Sinatra. I was just listening to him a few minutes ago, actually. :) There's definitely something special about him.

I just saw "Ocean's Eleven" for the first time the other night. I realized that even though the movie isn't fantastic (it's good- and I love the ending!) and Frank's character isn't very likable, I still like him. He doesn't even have to do anything- he just oozes coolness and style. :) Not to mention his incredible voice, of course!

~Kristin

Phylly3 said...

Fly Me to the Moon is one of my favourite of his songs! I just love it! I also love Sinatra sound-alikes like Harry Connick Jr. and Michael Buble.

Unknown said...

@Kristin - Thanks for leaving your comment again. :)

Ocean's 11 is definitely the best of the "Rat Pack" films - but even the crazy/silly ones, like Robin and the 7 Hoods, are enjoyable to a certain degree because of who's in them. :)

@phylly3 - Love that song too! And thank goodness for singers like Connick and Buble carrying on his vocal tradition! ;)

Kristin said...

No problem. I thought it was my Blogger messing up until your post disappeared. :)

I have "Robin and the 7 Hoods" and "4 For Texas," but I haven't watched them yet. A local bargain store had the set of the three films for about $7, so I couldn't resist! :)

~Kristin

Unknown said...

@Kristin - Nope, it was just yours truly messing with Blogger. :P

That is a wonderful deal! You will have to let me know what you think of those two Rat Pack "classics." :)