Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Remembering Shirley Temple

I was saddened to hear of Shirley Temple's passing this morning -- some of my fondest and most vivid memories of movie-watching as a child are of enjoying her films -- I particularly remember Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, The Story of Seabiscuit, and The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer. These TCM tributes always break my heart, but seeing these film clips I know I just HAVE to re-visit a few of her films in the coming weeks. Thanks for the memories, Shirley!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I was so sad to hear this, too. I really only watched The Little Princess growing up, but The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer has been one of my favorite classics ever since I started watching them as a teenager.

But I found her autobiography at a library sale last year and hoped to read it this year, so I'd just started making an attempt to see most of her major films. She was so talented, and seriously the most adorable child star ever. :)

Carissa said...

My favorite movie of hers was Heidi, which also happened to be my favorite book. My grandpa and I use to watch the movie over over. I loved the bond that Heidi had with her grandpa, and the Shirley Temple Heidi was the best.

Unknown said...

@Kristin - Her movies were SUCH a staple in my house growing up (though I admit some of them have blurred together in my memory). I ordered a used copy of her autobiography that I should be getting soon -- I'm looking forward to that. She was such a great child star who seems to have grown up into a really classy lady.

@Carissa - Oh, Heidi! What a classic!! I am with you, I don't think Temple's take can be beat there. :)