Friday, March 4, 2011

Revisiting Beastly by Alex Flinn

Since I have plans to go see the movie Beastly tomorrow, I felt compelled to drop everything and re-read the novel by Alex Flinn. This is a super-fast, quick read, and I'm happy to say that I enjoyed the book as much this time around as I did when I first read and reviewed it back in 2009. Here's the story summary and an excerpt from my original review:

About the book:

I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright – a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I’m talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It’s no deformity, no disease. And I’ll stay this way forever – ruined – unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I’ll tell you. I’ll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I’ll tell you how I became perfectly…beastly.

Review excerpt:

In a culture where tremendous importance is placed on looks, there’s a sweet and much-needed message embedded in Beastly’s pages about the source of true beauty and the joy of being known and loved for one’s inner self.
 
You can read the rest of my review here. I'm quite curious to see how the movie stacks up against the novel, especially now that the story is very fresh in my mind! (Like Vanessa Hudgens looks nothing like Lindy is described in the book...and I mean nothing like her. Hollywood, I don't know why I'm surprised...)

No comments: