Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sherlock Holmes

Okay, I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this...this movie still scares me just a little. But I do have a couple of observations to make:

1. Mark Strong is the villain!
2. Jude Law is Watson (WEIRD casting IMO, but the moment where Watson complains about Holmes being a slob was HILARIOUS).
3. Eddie Marsan is Inspector Lestrade! This is GENIUS! (In case you missed my previous blogs - LOL - Marsan was the fantastically quirky Pancks in Little Dorrit.)
4. Robert Downey Jr. just because he's RDJ (I still can't wrap my head around the fact that he's playing Holmes).
5. MARK STRONG IS IN THIS MOVIE (did I already mention that?)!!

Edit: Video removed from YouTube, post updated 8/18/11.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It scares me a little too. lol It will be interesting to see if it's any good.

Ruth King said...

I also love the part with Watson complaining about Sherlock Holmes' habits! Jude Law made a guest appearance in an episode of the Granada Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett (which I absolutely adore -- Brett was masterful as Holmes). It sounds like Jude Law has a lot of respect for the character. I also read that Robert Downey, Jr. spent three hours talking to Les Klinger (The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes) about playing Holmes so while this movie doesn't really look like Sherlock Holmes to me, I'm definitely going to give it a shot.

Unknown said...

@Ruth - Thank you for reminding me that Jude Law was in an episode of the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series! I've pulled out my Casebook DVDs and am going to watching the episode ("Shoscombe Old Place") now. I absolutely ADORE Jeremy Brett's interpretation of Holmes. While Downey's take on the character looks like it's going to be different, I definitely plan on going to see the film opening week (if not opening day!).